Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sleep Training...again?

A few months ago, we worked on sleep training JJ when he kept rolling over in his crib and waking himself up.

Things went really well for a few weeks and then it happened. JJ got an ear infection (so we think) and he had a hard time sleeping. That cleared up and he started to sleep better.

Within the past few weeks a cold has been circulating through our household. Let's just say that the sleep training we did in October is all but forgotten. He goes down for naps and bedtime just fine, but now wakes up once or twice a night. Sometimes he can go back to sleep on his own, other times we comfort him or bring him into bed with us.

I understand that sleep training is an important step in a child/parent relationship. We are helping JJ learn to fall back asleep by himself, which will help him for years to come.

However, I feel like Cam in the clip below when I think about listening to JJ cry it out.



That being said, I am getting better at letting him fuss for a few (up to 10) minutes before running in to comfort him, but I am looking for more advice.

OK readers- lets hear your sleep training tips. While you share, I will be getting another cup of coffee.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain Ali. Max was a sleeping champ after we did the Ferber Method a few weeks ago but has gone back to his old ways this past week. It's so tricky because I don't know if he's teething, growing, or doesn't feel well... If any of those are the case I feel like such a jerk letting him cry it out when he's really in pain. Our big thing right now that we're working on is at around 8:30 just putting him in his crib and letting him figure out how to put himself to sleep. We went almost 9 months with feeding and rocking until he was sound asleep before we would get him in his crib. I figure if he learns how to put himself to sleep on his own (hence cry it out a bit) then he will be able to do the same in the middle of the night. I'm just like you (and Cam. haha) I HATE listening to him cry it out, my stomach turns and I want to cry right along with him. Stay strong and keep up with the 10 minute intervals, eventually he will figure it out. I'm right there along side of you lady, the coffee is flowing big time today. Cheers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allison!!

    I never did any sleep training with the boys, all that I do is about 15 minutes before bedtime I get each of them their blankets and teddybear blankets. We sit down and they get bottles. Then they go to bed, usually between 7 and 8 depending on the length of naps. If they are teething they get ibuprofen in their bottles. Then they get a pacifier and go straight into bed. Surprisingly they don't cry when I lay them down. They fuss a bit but that is all. During the night I don't have to get up with them any more, unless they are teething. If I do go in to them they just get a paci, blanket,kiss, and a pat on the back. I do make sure to leave about 3 or 4 paci's in the cribs so they can find them on their own. They only use them at night and are not allowed to have them during the day.

    Now the topic of naptime is a whole other story. Naps are a pain. C can get laid down and will fall asleep on his own but O must be rocked or he won't sleep during the day. And they gave up two naps a day about a month ago, they absolutely refuse their second nap.

    Good luck, it will get better soon. It was about 8-9 months before the boys really started to sleep through the night all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete