JJ has started to roll over, not all the way, just from his back to his tummy. He is quite pleased with himself for mastering this new skill...until he realizes he is on him tummy. Then he gets a little uncomfortable and upset. We are trying to help him learn to roll from tummy to back, but haven't had luck yet.
Him being upset on his tummy during the day is no big deal...at night, however, things are much different.
First, while I understand the importance of the "Back to Sleep" campaign...I am a bit upset that it has instilled such a deep fear of SIDS in me. To the point where I.CANT.SLEEP when I know JJ has rolled over onto his tummy to sleep in the middle of the night.
Saturday night, I woke up at 5:30am wondering why JJ hadn't had his usual 2 AM wake up (for me to pop his nuk back in and go to sleep.) The woman who hasn't had a full night's sleep in 4 months thought, "We must be over that phase! Woo-hoo!" Then the mother in me thought, "Something must be wrong!" I got up to go check on the little man. And that's when I found him sleeping soundly...on his TUMMY! The only thing I could think of was, back to sleep...he must sleep on his back! I fought my urge to roll him over and walked back into the bedroom to get Jeff's opinion. "Honey, JJ is on his tummy, sleeping and breathing fine. Do you think I should flip him over?"
Jeff muttered his response, "Come back to bed and stop worrying about him sleeping on his tummy. Aren't you more comfortable when you sleep that way?"
Now, this comment send me back to the late days of my pregnancy, where I would have given anything to sleep on my tummy. After this memory, I climbed back into bed and stared at the ceiling.
" I can feel you staring at the ceiling. He is fine." (My hubby knows me so well.) 20 minutes later, JJ woke up for the day.
Last night was a different story however. JJ woke up several times, realizing he was on his tummy and was NOT HAPPY about it. Each time he woke up, I went into his room and would roll him to his back, just to have him roll right back onto his tummy. I was up on and off from 2AM on.
It might be a long week readers...stay tuned for an update. OR offer any advice or similar stories you may have to a VERY tired Mommy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Olivia is almost 20 months and I still get freaked out when she is on her tummy. I will still put her on her back even though we are way beyond the initial scare of SIDS. I think it is something that has been so burned into our brains to be aware of. Wish I could offer some advice, but this may just be something you are going to have to "deal" with until he learns how to unroll himself. Keep the coffee flowing!
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you've been using a sleep positioner but if you are you should stop. The FDA came out last week and said the positioners don't reduce the risk of SIDS and may actually be harmful. Kids are suffocating in the sides of the positioners kind of like how they suffocate against crib padding.
ReplyDeleteWish I could help you solve your problem but Bethany may be right about it being something you just gotta deal with.
Maybe I should buy some stock in Starbucks in the mean time :)
Thank you Ladies. Cory- we don't use a sleep positioner or padding. We do have a breathable bumper, which has saved us hours of walking in and untangling JJ's legs from the bars. :)
ReplyDeleteI might just have to suck this one up for a few weeks...your investment in starbucks might be wise!
We have a sleep sack that reminds "Back is best". It totally is burnt into our brains with every baby book we read, flyers that are given at the hospital, etc. JJ is big and strong enough to make sure that his head is turned so he can breathe. I would say if he is unfomfortable he will let you know (ie. crying at 2 AM). If he is sleeping soundly on his tummy than I would not worry about it. I think if he was 1 or 2 months than I may flip him over. It sounds like you have a good setup in his crib with the breathable bumpers. It totally is true when they say that you worry 10 times more after your baby is born. You are an amazing Mother and just trust your gut.
ReplyDeleteWhew! I finally caught up with all these! I do remember when Wy was rolling over at night, but I can't remember if we found The Solution. I think we just had to go and turn him over when he complained and pop the paci back in as well. I remember talking to his doctor about it to see if there was something we hadn't thought of, because I was worried about the Back to Sleep too. She told me there was nothing I could do once he was moving on his own and that the risk is much less and that I needed to sleep more! lol
ReplyDeleteDo you have a ceiling fan in JJ's room? If you do...have it running at night. We were told during our birthing classes that running a ceiling fan decreases the chance of SIDS by incredible %'s...I wasn't a believer and then later confirmed it with some online research. Taylor doesn't sleep the greatest either, but it is because they are moving more...wanting to explore. We had the same thing happen with Kendra...when she started rolling, crawling, walking...we would come in her room the next morning wondering if she held a party in her crib!!! Hang tough little momma...
ReplyDelete