Monday, May 31, 2010

JJ's Birth Story

May 21, 2010

I was getting anxious. I am a planner and just couldn't wait to see when the baby would arrive. I had a doctor's appointment scheduled the morning of May 21st, where I was hoping to hear news of progress and possibly talk about induction the following week.

1AM
I was in bed and had a dream my water broke. I woke up, looked at the clock: 1 AM. I got up to make my usual middle of the night trip to the restroom. Then, it happened...my water really did break! I sat there, stunned for a minute, before opening up the bathroom door and telling Jeff, "Honey, my water just broke!" He mentioned something about coming back to bed, that the hospital didn't want to see us until my contractions started. (This is partially correct. They wanted to see us when contractions were 5 min. apart for 1 hour OR if my water broke.) I called the hospital and the nurse said to come in, my doctor also agreed.

We took our time getting ready (I wasn't having contractions yet) so I showered and ate some breakfast. (There was NO WAY I was going to the hospital on an empty stomach.)

We also called Mom. She was driving from South Dakota and needed as much of a head start as we could give her.

2:30AM
We got to the hospital and checked in. Two nurses (Molly and Amy) helped us get settled in. They hooked me up to the monitors and did a test to make sure my water did break. Sure enough, it had, so we were there to stay.

4AM
My contractions started. They were about 10 minutes apart and started to get more intense. I asked Molly for some suggestions and she recommended Fentenol. (Bless her heart!) Jeff was resting on the couch and he said he could tell when it had kicked in. My conversation was easier and I seemed more relaxed.

7AM
Shift change; Ann came in to introduce herself. She asked what other things I planned to help with labor. She recommended the tub and birthing ball. Jeff and I had already started walking around the maternity ward, to help things along.

8AM
Dad and Sharon arrived at the hospital. Contractions are getting closer, the Fentenol is still doing its job! I hopped in the hot tub to relax, did more walking and sat on the birthing ball.

10AM
Another dose of Fentenol. :)

12- Noon
I am ready for my epidural. 7 cm dilated, 90% effaced and -1 station. The anesthesiologist joins us. His name is Dr. List, but I think he says Dr. Bliss. (Which I thought would have been a great name for a doctor who makes you instantly feel better.) So Dr. Bliss gives me an epidural and I am in heaven. I still have control over my legs but feel no contractions.

Dr. Buss (who will deliver) comes in and would like to break what remains of my water.

This is when things get scary. The baby does not react well to me getting an epidural, catheter and water breaking within such a short time and the heart rate drops. Before I know it, there are 10 nurses in the room, asking me to get on my hands and knees, talking about getting the OR on standby, Dr. Buss saying C-section and all the while, Jeff standing by my side saying it will be ok.

Dr. Buss gets the baby's heart rate back to normal and we all relax.

3:30PM
My epidural is wearing off. Mom and Kimmy are now here. I feel pressure like nothing I have felt before...but I am still not fully dilated and my station is not where we need it to be. I ask for another dose for my epidural.

4:30PM
The second dose for my epidural knocks me on my ass. I have no feeling or control over my legs, hips and right arm. This is scary. Dr. Buss comes in and says we will be ready to push soon.

5:00PM
Dr. Buss says baby does not like the birth canal. The heart rate drops low each time they get near it. We have two options: push like a champ and use a vacuum, or it's a C-section. I tell him I will push like a champ. Jeff is by my side ready to help with anything I need.

We start the final leg of the journey.

5:38 PM
Jeffrey Alan Brausen Jr. enters into this world! Jeff is so excited and tears up, I can see my baby boy, and get just as emotional!

Weighing in at 8lbs, 2.5 oz and measuring 20.75 inches, our little one is finally here. I am exhausted...I am elated and high...I am happy. I know Jeff feels the same way. When they put JJ in my arms, I feel the world stop.

And it starts...so this is love.

1 comment:

  1. O, how wonderful!! Thank you for sharing your birth story! I just love it! Congratulations again to you and Jeff! I can't wait to hear/read all about the wonderful journey you are about to embark on with JJ!

    ReplyDelete