
One of my best memories as a kid is sitting down to the kitchen table to my mom's grilled cheese sandwich, cut diagonally, with ketchup on the side. It is such a simple dish, but I can never duplicate how it good tastes compared to when she makes it.
I know our kids will grow up and have the same memories. Jeff does 99% of the cooking in our house. I believe the kids will grow up loving his peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, something I have craved throughout my pregnancy. (Which we are both baffled by; I didn't like PB&J before I was pregnant.)
Jeff lovingly makes me lunch every morning before work and each day provides me with a healthy meal. It seems like a small thing, but it means a lot to me. (And makes him the talk of the office at lunch time!)
I can envision him doing the same thing for our kids in a few years. Packing a lunch, with mom adding a note and fruit each day. It makes me smile to know something as simple as PB&J could become such a happy memory for them.
So tell me readers, did you have a meal when you were growing up that you have tried to duplicate but it just doesn't taste the same as when your parents made it?

As simple as it sounds - grilled cheese and tomato soup with a pickle on the side. I love this dish on a gloomy day. For some reason, I try to make it for Ryan and I and just can't get it right ;)
ReplyDeleteMy dad makes the most incredible BBQ chicken. I don't know how he does it but I never fail to have a BBQ grin when I am finished.
ReplyDelete